Passenger Discount for Children
Save money and make memories when you take the kids on a journey they won't soon forget. They'll take in the wonder and fun of the train, while you enjoy a trip without baggage fees and traffic stops. So whether gazing out the window or cuddled up with a book or movie, the fun just keeps on going. Book your trip today.
Children Ages 2-12 Save 50%
Up to two children ages 2-12 are eligible to receive a 50% discount on the lowest available adult rail fare on most Amtrak trains with each fare-paying adult (age 18+). If any additional child per adult will be traveling, reservations must be made for that child as an “Adult” and the full adult fare will be charged.
Infants (under Age 2) Ride Free
One child (classified as an “infant”) under the age of two may ride free with each fare-paying adult (age 18+). Infants are not entitled to a seat. Additional children under age two are permitted with each adult traveler under the 50% discount policy.
- Passengers 12 years of age and younger must travel with an adult passenger who is at least 18 years old.
- Children traveling alone are not entitled to a children's discount.
- The children's discount is not valid on weekday Acela Express trains.
- The children's discount does not apply to Business class, First class or sleeping accommodation charges. These upgrades are permitted upon payment of the full accommodation charges.
- The children's discount is not valid for travel on certain Amtrak Thruway connecting services.
- Additional restrictions may apply.
Learn more about the Booking Limits for Number of Passengers per Transaction.
- Children age 12 and under may not travel unaccompanied. They must travel with another person who is at least 18 years old.*
- Children 13, 14 and 15 years old may travel as unaccompanied minors only under certain conditions.
- Reservations for unaccompanied minors cannot be made on Amtrak.com.
- Additional rules and restrictions apply. Visit the Unaccompanied Minors policy page for full details.
*Exception: A minor who is 16 or 17, who is a parent to children of any age, may bring those children without restriction. The 16- or 17-year-old must bring proof that he or she is the parent of the children.